Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Where's our story?

Have you ever noticed that, in the fairy tale world, mothers are non-existent?  They're dead,and step-mothers are assholes.  I was looking for some strength in the land of make-believe, and I was looking for something to read to my 6 month old daughter.  Something that would soothe her, and comfort me. 

Sounds like we need the same thing - maybe we should just go back to bed. 

No.  Today is a day for progress.  Today is a day that I grow some balls (figuratively speaking), and make changes. 

I don't like it.  I'm unhappy.  I know it.  Life feels like it's hard, but I know that it's not that bad.  I know that there are people who would be grateful for what I have. 

This sucks. 

My boyfriend told me the other day that he's pretty certain that I have post-partum depression.  How do you respond to that when the only answer is, "it's not hormones.  It's you.  You make me unhappy."  I can't stay.  I can't. 

And I can go.  I have places to go.  I don't think he'd try to stop me at all.  I just feel guilty.  Somehow, I think I should come last.  I can't.  I can't come last.

I went looking for fairy tales, or folk tales about the strength that mothers have because I needed a push.  Finding a void there was that push.  There may be children throughout history who have heard tales of missing mothers and asshole step-parents.  My children will live a different life. 

It may not be a fairy tale, but it doesn't seem like those fairy tales are so awesome anyways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment